Thursday, August 9, 2012

Me, my, and mine


We live in a me generation, where my feelings, wants, desires and objectives come before anyone else.  This mentality sweeps through our lives and we are more prone to think on what is mine, than what are the needs or lack of others.  I have often referred to this as an “I” disease; I believe that it is much more widespread today than at any other time in history.
Across this land of ours individuals, groups and organizations scream at the top of their lungs for their rights to be heard.  As the old saying goes, “Katie, bar the door” should anyone get in their way.  These are the ones who push and shove, wanting their agenda to be accepted, wanting their voices to be heard, their rights and privileges ratified by the majority of citizens.  It is an “I” disease.
In pockets of prevailing situations we see the militant attitude of “It’s going to be my way or the highway” for anyone that stands in the way of progress.  It appears these individuals and organizations will fight to the death to be accepted, to be confirmed, to be heard.  It is an “I” disease.
Even the political candidates have taken this form of bullying to the highest level, by slinging mud, and preaching that those who are not for them are against a better America.  In the process, they polarize and divide the nation.  It is an “I” disease.
“I” is a terrible form of disease that affects everyone within reach.  It destroys fellowship and common concern for others.  It is selfish and destructive.  It fights against the common good and the willingness to hear all sides to an issue.  It has stalled growth and productivity in many areas, including but not limited to local, state, and national governments, industry, and religious, as well as para-church organizations.  In the end it causes irreparable damage and becomes a public relations nightmare.
When I see these things happening, it grieves me to the very core of my being.  I watch and listen with ears that seem to tingle with fear.  To think that these things would happen in a place where we have celebrated and revered our freedoms causes me to shudder at the prospect of the kind of world my child will inherit.  The brighter future I have always dreamed of is dimmed by tactics of force.
Yet, I must and will always side with the instruction of scripture.  Jesus being my chief example of how to live in a corrupt, sinful, sin sick, “I” diseased world gives me a glimpse of hope.  He was willing to come not for His plan or will, but for God’s plan and will.  Time and again He reminded His followers that He was doing the will of the Father-that is God the Creator.  He came for our good.  He willingly put aside the splendor and grandeur of heaven’s throne room to put on flesh, to live among us, to redeem lost humanity.  He lived the life of a pauper, to point to a life that would be rich and rewarding.
As He taught by His actions, He also instructed with His teaching that the only way to God and to real life was to submit our wills to the Father.  He said, “But whosoever would become great among you shall be your minister; and whosoever would be first among you shall be your servant: even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:26-28 ASV
This is the sure cure for the prevailing “I” disease; becoming a true servant, being last, and putting others before yourself.  To become great in the kingdom of God is through humility.  That is why Jesus talked about the impossibility of a camel going through the eye of a needle; it is not going to happen.  Therefore, we must become like a little child, accepting the fact that God is first, others are second and we are last.
All of us have so much to learn.  I readily agree!  Yet, there are those who are shouting the loudest who need to be reminded that it is not the one who has the most to say; but the one who lives humbly that will be exalted in this life and in the life to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment