Monday, August 27, 2012

Back to Church at Rockford



One Sunday morning a stranger came up to the pastor of a small church before the services began: "I've been looking for the true church for a long time.  I hope this will be that church." 
After the service, the man came by the pastor, while he stood shaking out the members and said with great excitement, "I think I found it!  I think I have found the true church and I'll be back tonight." 
He man returned that evening and after the service ended asked to speak with the pastor privately.

The pastor, excitedly thinking the man may be ready to join the church said, Yes, that would be wonderful.  Let’s step into my study.”

After settling into the pastor’s study, the man spoke with great honesty, “I really did think I was in the right place.  I thought I had found the true church but I was wrong, oh so wrong.”

The pastor was baffled and asked, politely, “Sir, why?  Why were you so sure this morning, but now you are absolutely positive you were wrong?  Is it some point of doctrine, or the spirituality of our church, or maybe it is the music?”

Straightforwardly the man said, "If this had been the true church all those who were here this morning would have returned tonight."

With those words he walked out the door and never returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment