Thursday, June 26, 2014

A message from the North Pole


Elwood called this morning at 5:30!  A little too early for me and most out of character for Elwood.  He was all excited and giddier than I have ever known him to be.  I think he has too much cocoa and cherries dipped in dark chocolate.

I was thinking as he talked that now might be a good time to see if he was using the oil intended to calm him down.  Then I realized he most likely was not. 

As he talked ninety miles an hour it was most evident there was a reason for the call.

I was very curious.

“Elwood,” I said into the phone, a little louder than I intended to, “why are you calling at this hour?”

“Jeff, you have to see the most recent post circulating on Facebook and make sure that he like it and share it and maybe even comment on it because it is the best yet as I am telling you that you don’t want to miss it today cause it is truly the truth I’m telling you,” he said without taking a breath.

Then he was talking about getting everything ready for the big night for the big guy.  I am honestly telling you the truth when I say that I could not get a word in edge wise.  He was blistering my ear.

Finally he took a breath and I said, “Elwood, I have got to go.  Savannah has her last day at basketball camp and I need to get ready.”

“Alright,” Elwood said, “call me back later, please!”

“Well do,” I said as I pressed the end button on my cell phone and rolled back over in bed and sent back to sleep.

Savannah woke me at 7:30.

I heard my smart phone beep and reached for it.  In the notifications I saw that I had an email from Elwood.

“Hey Jeff, just wanted to say sorry for waking you so early this morning.  Hope you saw the post.  As you know we are making plans for all the main stuff that goes under the trees and getting ready to start the ‘Naughty or Nice List.’  Make sure you look at the post and don’t try to fool me cause I am watching. Elwood.”

Opening the Facebook App, I looked through recent post and found want he was talking about.  It was a picture of a little girl elf, with a caption that read, “Umm, we’re just 6 months away from Christmas.  Just wanted you to know.”

I was amazed!

I was amused!

I was alerted!

Six months until Christmas and the big guy sails through the air, dropping presents around the world.  Wow!

On the way home from school, after depositing Savannah I called Elwood.

“Hey,” I said, “saw the post, shared it and now I am intrigued.  Why was this so important you would wake me at 5:30, in the morning?  This morning?  Why?”

“First, you needed to be reminded,” Elwood quietly and patiently explained.  “Secondly, it is Maggie, our little Bear Manager, who is in the picture.  Third, you should have known that the message is important.”

“Oh,” I replied, still not really sure what was what.

“Look, Jeff, six months until Christmas.  Understand?” Elwood said.

Yet he did not wait on my answer.

“We are packing bags in the distribution center as we speak.  Elves are working around the clock making, packaging and packing; like a bunch of busy beavers.  We will start our daily meetings next week as we check the list for the good and the bad.  Boys and girls have got to know that now is important.  Now is the time to watch out because we are watching them.  The message has to be shared and who better but you and those on your friends list?”

There was pause, so I spoke up.  “Elwood, it is really important, right?  Knowing when the day is coming, right?”

“By George, I think he has it!” Elwood said with a long laugh.  “Six months; that is 181 days until the time when we see the sleigh and eight tiny reindeer fly away with the big guy, Santa himself, in the seat with the reins in hand.”

“Oh my,” was all I could say.

“Listen, this is heads up time.  Time to remind the children that it will only be a few short months until they are opening presents, enjoying all the candy, singing festive songs and squealing with delight.”

I was beginning to get excited about the big day myself.

“I have a few questions?” Elwood said on a more serious side.

“Alright, ask and let me see if I can find an answer,” was my reply.

“First, who is the person who commented about Christmas being every day of the year?”

“That was a very dear friend, like sister.  Elwood she is right you know?”

“Oh sure, she is right, Jeff,” Elwood responded.  “When Jesus is in your heart, every day is a day for giving, enjoying the blessings and celebrating the birth of Jesus.  She will surely get something very special from the big guy.”

“Thanks, Elwood,” I said as I grinned thinking about my sweet lamb God has used to bring such joy to our family.”

“Another question, if you have time,” Elwood asked.

“Go ahead,” I answered.

“Who was the one who put me on her naughty list?”

“Oh my,” I said with a frown.

“You tell her that she needs to comment that she will take me off her naughty list so I will take her off my naughty list and she will be on the nice list.  That was so wrong in more ways than one.”

“I’ll deliver the message,” I replied.

“I like her.  Always enjoy the little surprises because she does such a good job at what she does, but she could really get into some hot water with comments like that.  Especially right now, as ole St. Nick seems to be stressed more than I have ever seen him in years past.”

“I will be praying and anything I can do, just let me know,” I said as helpfully as I could.

“You keep telling people about Jesus and why we celebrate Christmas.  We will take care of the rest!”

With those words we lost connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment