Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Going in circles


Spending time in the Great Smoky Mountains ways of my daughter and wife was more fun than I can describe here.  The time was well spent as we rested, recreated, and relaxed.  I would really have to say that rest and relaxation were at the bottom the list, as recreation was the primary object of our trip.

How beautiful it was in Gatlinburg, during our stay for Spring Break.  It was rather quiet, not really crowded and the snow was so very pleasant.  It snowed three of the four days we were there, and watching Savannah walk along the sidewalks attempting to catch snowflakes on her tongue was priceless.

I do wish to say at the outset, that the Tennessee State FFA Convention was being held at the Gatlinburg Convention Center, and for the most part they were polite and respectful.  One important detail Tina and myself noted was the proper and fitting attire which the girls wore as part of the FFA dress requirements.  The skirt, stockings, blouse and shoes were most appropriate and very fitting.  We were most pleased.  Of course the traditional blue coat was a fixture around the city of Gatlinburg during the week.  

Among the many things that we enjoyed in the mountains, riding the go karts at Cooter's had to be one of the highlights for Savannah.  At first she was a wee bit nervous and skeptical; this was heightened when she measured herself to see if she could ride and realized she was taller than the requirements for actually driving one by herself.  But she would not be persuaded to do that; no she was wanted daddy to drive for her, since "he has the experience.”  Once the butterflies settled down and she realized that were two seat models available she had a blast riding in a circle inside a building.

This was the first time Savannah had ever experienced a ride in a go kart.  By the time I was ten years old, I was a master in handling the massive machines, some home made at that.  During those years of my childhood I had run a few up the trunk of trees, turned one over, run another into the pond, and still another had blown up and caught fire while racing around the pasture.  Yep, I was a truly masterful Dale Earnhardt of the Go Kart circuit.

Honestly, I must say that I totally understand Paul’s writing, when he pens the words “when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” (1 Corinthians 13:11 KJV)  Oh my, do I understand what that verse means.  I could list for you several reasons, but three stand out in my mind as this moment.

Yet, before I get to those reasons, let me tell you about the kart we acquired for this little adventure.  Cooter’s has six singles-these are for the driver only-and two which allow for the driver and one passenger.  Each of these are named, the names reflecting the characters of the old television show, “The Duke’s of Hazzard.”  The one we were assigned to was named, “Boss Hogg.”  Now, do you not think that was appropriate for me?

With that said, let me move on the three reasons why I understand what Paul meant when he said that when we reach adulthood, we are to put away the things of our childhood.

I am convinced in order to get in a go kart, you have to have the dexterity of a pretzel.  Savannah jumped right into the seat next to me, but it took me two or three determined and well maneuvered moves to finally put my seat in the seat.  Bless her heart she was sandwiched in her bucket seat between me and the rail on her left.

Men who have reached the age of maturity to which I have attained, should not ride around in a go kart.  The jostling, jolting, jarring movements required to ride in a small confined space is not for someone of my age.  The next day I was so sore in my back, shoulders, neck and arms I thought I was either having a heart attack or had been in an automobile accident.

Yet, the crowning moment of the ride was the end, when we parked our karts and I attempted to disengage myself from the driver’s seat.  Savannah reversed the process effortlessly.  As for me, well needless to say, I was a little slower.  Trying to slid back and stand up was going to be a monumental task.  This 260 plus frame does not move as easily as it did back in the younger days.

Savannah offered her sweet little hand to assist me, but it was futile.  The track manager offered to call the fire department and get them to bring the Jaws of Life, while laughing and crying at the same time.  The other drivers laughed as they walked toward the exits.  I worked slowly and painstakingly to extract myself and it took a little time, but finally I was standing up and stepping out of that little, confined space.

It amazes me how riding in a circle brings such joy to a ten year old.  That is all we did for several minutes was ride in a circle.  For many who are living today, they are going in circles.  It is an endless, joyless journey of life, going from one situation to another, facing one problem after the other; a circle that seems to never stop.  The same sights, the same dark sky, the same sorrow and sadness; there seems to be no change in the altitude or the environment; a continual circle.

Friend, God wants to jolt you out of the continual monotonous, boring and dreary mind-numbing existence you find yourself in; in this continual circle.  Jesus said that He came to give life, abundant life to all of us who come to the Father through Him.  Lay those things will hinder and so easily confine you to circular living, and take His nail pieced hand and walk the path of life and liberty with Him.  That is the jolt we all need!  

            The real jolt for me came when Savannah asked, “Can we go again?”  It was tempting, but Mommy was waiting to play a round of Miniature Golf, which was in the same building.  Inwardly I relaxed, thinking I had missed the bullet, as least for the time being. 

                As we drove through Pigeon Forge the next day, the many tracks were deserted, as the karts remained parked and the old wood flooring was covered with snow and cold water.  This did not dissuade Savannah from saying, “Hey, daddy!  There’s a go kart track; let’s ride again.” 

                The time was well spent and the joy of making memories is engraved within my heart and mind.  Yes, she will never be ten years old again and we will always cherish these special times away with her. 

                We rode the Sky Lift again, whether it believe it or not.  I will have to tell you about that experience later.

No comments:

Post a Comment