Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Spending time with a hero



Tuesday of this week one of my hero’s in the preaching field came to Rockford.  I know that almost sounds too strange to believe, but it was one of those incredible God things; something I would never have dreamed possible.
First, let me tell you about the hero, then I will tell you how this transpired…
Several years ago, as a young preacher boy, a pastor in the area took me under his wing, and introduced me to some of the finer preachers and theologians in the Southern Baptist Convention and some outside of the SBC.  These were men he held in great esteem, men of character and of the Word.
Clifton Brown, pastor of the Second Baptist in Fort Payne at that time, took me to Tennessee Temple, Roswell Street Baptist Church, Woodstock First Baptist, and to the 12th Street Baptist in Gadsden.  It was in these types of places he introduced me to some of the best, prominent, and humblest preachers of that time.
One preacher he introduced me to caught my attention and I have seemed to follow his ministry through the past 20 plus years.  This fellow was only 10 years older than myself and was already in the upper spiritual circles.  He had already preached before large audiences, spoken in pastors conferences throughout the Southeast and written a book or two.

Danny Lovett was pastor of the Open Door Baptist in Tuscaloosa at the time I heard him preach for the first time.  Growing up in the First Baptist of Fort Payne, I had rarely seen anything like Bro. Danny at that time.  He was loud, he was strong in the Word, pointing his finger, dancing a jig and stepping on your toes.  What appealed to me was his fearlessness in the pulpit.  He was comfortable with the message and was not concerned with the outcome.  His desire was to preach the Word and leave the work with the Holy Spirit.
Through the years I heard him on other occasions.  Once was at Woodstock First, with Johnny Hunt and Bailey Smith.  Bro. Bailey introduced him as the pastor of a church in Alabama that had single-handedly been responsible for closing an abortion clinic across the street from the church.  That is when I realized that Bro. Danny was not only fearless in the pulpit; he was fearless in the marketplace.
Bro. Danny was only in his late middle to late thirties in those days, but God had called him and qualified him, and was moving in his life.  He left Tuscaloosa for Liberty University.  At Liberty he served as Dean of the Liberty Theological Seminary.
Again I followed him each month reading his articles in the Flame.  As a Southern raised boy, he continued his down home approach to communicating, even though he was in a “school of higher learning.”  In reality, academia did not change him or his foundational living; it did give him the opportunity to reach more people with the message.
After a short time at Liberty, he left there and moved to Chattanooga to become the President of Tennessee Temple University.  A school which for years sent out students into the fields of the fundamentalist, independent churches became his new stomping ground.  Bro. Danny took the school to new heights, while increasing enrollment and making the school a viable contender among Southern Schools.  His leadership in the school was excellent, with integrity and professionalism, while demonstrating his favorite motto, “Loving God and Loving People.”

Coupled with the presidency of TTU, Bro. Danny was also Co-Pastor of the historic Highland Park Baptist Church.  This old, old church is a legacy among Baptist.  It was the mega-church during a time when no one even knew or understood that term.  Serving along side Pastor David Bouler, Bro. Danny reached a pinnacle that many men his age only dream to reach.  God had truly raised up a man to lead that great historic church.
Then disaster came, lightening flashed and troubles mounted.  While I have read and followed some of the stories, and will leave them for you to read, I have stood with him and prayed for him.  Much of what has been said or printed is either the medias way of spinning a story or the facts were not complete or accurate.  Yet, when someone desires to bring another down, they will do whatever is within their power to do so; of course the evil one is behind them pushing the envelope the whole time.
It is amazing what evil things people can do to discredit and bring down a man who believes that God has called and who digs in wherever God places him and serves with his whole heart, soul and being.  As hard as it is to stomach something of that magnitude, I am proud to say that my hero is one who rises above that evil and moves forward with the strength and power of the Most High God.
A few months ago one of my church members and a dear friend came to me and told me that Danny Lovett was starting a new church in the Chelsea/Westover area of Shelby County.  He also shared how his brother was involved in this new church start and asked if I would pray for the new work.
I was delighted!  Delighted to pray and delighted that a member of my church had family who was involved in such a wonderful project for the kingdom of God.  Selfishly, I was also delighted to know that I might get the opportunity to actually meet this man face-to-face, my hero in the ministry, one day very soon.           
On Tuesday of this week, that became a reality.  As Chaplain for my dear friend and church member, the Sheriff, I have some special privileges.  From time to time he gives me an opportunity to have contact with distinguished individuals.  Sheriff Wilson asked if I would like to spend a few hours visiting with Danny Lovett in his office.  I jumped at that opportunity!
For two hours I had the opportunity to talk with, visit, eat lunch and pray with a man that for years I have considered a hero.  Bro. Danny is truly a man with a heart for God and for people.  In those few hours I saw why he had not only been a pastor who was sought after for conferences and revivals, crusades and events for years, but also why he had served two colleges.  He has a desire to Love God and Love People!

His work in Shelby County is an awesome undertaking.  He explained to me that within a ten mile radius of the Servpro Training Center, which is being used for their weekly services, there are 80, 000 people.  A staggering number, but to Bro. Danny it is a challenge.  He still believes in knocking on doors and inviting people to come to Christ.  It works!  He said that they are reaching an average of 125 each week and have baptized 25 since the inception of the church a few months ago.
Danny Lovett is a man that is serving God in Alabama.  Will you pray with me for his work and ministry?
Hero’s come in many shapes and sizes.  Some are sports icons, others are political leaders, and still others are mythical creations of Hollywood.  Hero’s may come and go, may fall and rise again for another day, or they may just fad away.  Some people may have one or two; others may have a whole long list of them.  Hero’s are the ones we want to pattern our lives after, men and woman we wish to emulate, or they may be ones that give us courage because we learn from their lives.  In the end, a hero is larger than life.
We all have heroes.  These men and stand out as important figures in our lives.  My list could go on and on.  Clifton Brown, Danny Lovett, Babbie Mason, Gerald Hallmark, Luther Strange, Ruby Self, Dan Ireland, Jimmie Lou Peacock…
Yet, I submit to you that even though I have given you a snap shot of one that I have considered a hero in my life, there is one greater than he; yes, I have a hero that is a Hero of Hero’s.  He is my best friend.  I can go to Him anytime, anywhere and He will listen.  He understands my joy and sorrow, my lows and my highs.  He will never leave me or forsake me; He loves to the uttermost! 
This man was willing to put His life on the line and give it all for me.  He loved me more than life itself, and died so that I might live.  That is a true HERO!  His name is Jesus Christ.  He wants to be your Hero…

“The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.  For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.  For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”  (Romans 10:8-13 KJV)  

No comments:

Post a Comment