Monday, January 7, 2013

Foundational Living (#1 of a 4 part message)



“He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.”
Psalms 40:2-3 (KJV)
I wish to share this with you today in hopes that it will bolster your faith, strengthen your foundation and assist you in this New Year.  It surely has accomplished this in my life.
My verse for this year comes from the passage we use as our text.  It is actually a portion of this section of this scripture, the last phrase of verse 2 of Psalm 40: “[He] set my feet on a rock, making my steps secure.” (HCSB)
That is true in my life; it is true of your life?  God stooped down and took me out of the “desolate pit… the muddy clay and set my feet on a rock, making my steps secure.” (HCSB)  This is what He accomplished in my life when I was nine years old, and is what He does every day of my life, for the last thirty nine years of my life.
My steps are secure because of the rock, that Rock is Jesus.  He is the center and circumference of my foundation.  So every day I want to live as life that is founded and secure in Foundational Living.  There are four corners to this foundation which hold this house and make it strong, withstanding the calamites and pressures of this life.  Those pillars are faith, freedom, prayer, and praise.  We will explore those in the next blog, but for now, I wish for us to look at the Foundational Living; what put us on this foundation that is sure and secure?
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Matthew 7:24-27 (KJV)
            We are able to know the safety of Foundational Living because He Sought Us.  God in mercy and grace came to us to save us and redeem us from the curse of sin and of the law.  He did not have to search for someone to do the work; He knew beforehand, in His foreknowledge, that His Son would be the one to perform this deed. 
            His Son came to His own, but His own did not receive Him or recognize Him.  He was the Messiah, sent from the Father to seek out the lost sheep of Israel.  But because they would not surrender to Him He sought all that were lost and without hope.
Yes, while you and I were in our sin, encumbered in this life, weighed down with our rebellion and pride, God sent His Son.  While we were trudging through this life, the mud holding tightly to our feet, our bodies cast into a smothering pit, God sent His Son.  His Son came to seek us out and “set my feet on a rock, making my steps secure.” (HCSB)  Praise Lord for this wonderful, boundless love He had for us to seek us while we were in our sin!
It is this same picture we see of God in the Garden of Eden at the beginning of time and at the fall of man.  Adam and Eve had sinned and knew they had caused a separation in their lives, because we find them hiding as God walks through the Garden in the cool of the day.  He calls to them when He cannot locate them, and Adam answered, “”I heard You in the Garden, and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid.” (Genesis 3:10 HCSB)  When God asked Adam how he knew he was naked, he said, “The woman You gave to be with me-she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate.” (Genesis 3:12 HCSB)
That is how He finds each one of us-we are naked, blind, crippled and afraid.  We are stuck in the pit, walking in the miry clay of life, destined to be lost, without hope; but God said, “I will not  leave you that way…”
He Sought Us out so that He might buy us back.  Yes, He Bought Me; He Bought Us!  Remember what Paul said to the Church at Rome: “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8 KJV)  That word “commendeth” seems better translated as “demonstrated.”  Maybe even the words established, confirmed, or verified would suit your taste.  The end result is the same, through Jesus Christ God sough us out and bought us back to Himself so that we might be sons of God, joint heirs with Christ.
This purchase involved a sacrifice.  Go back to the Garden with me and look at the scene that takes place as God sets outside the Garden the two sinners, God’s created man and woman.  The scripture says, “The Lord God made clothing out of skins for Adam and Even, and He clothed them.” (Genesis 3:21 HCSB)  There is the Garden we see God creating again, this time clothing for His two precious creations.  How do you think those skins came to be?  Where did they come from?
In The New Testament, we find these words: “According to the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.”  You see where the skins came from for Adam and Eve; they came from animals and these animals were used in a sacrifice to God for the forgiveness of their sins.  We see the same thing happening when Abel offered a sacrifice, Noah offered a sacrifice, and Abraham offered sacrifices, as the same thing continued through out the entire Old Testament.  It was shadow, a partial, a part of what Christ did for all men-both Jew and Gentile-on the cross of Calvary.  The sacrifices before Christ were for a time and a season, but Christ death on the cross and His free gift of life for all of us is for time and eternity.  As one writer put it, the sacrifice of Christ was “once and for all.”  Amen!   Thanks be to God for the gift of sacrifice in His Son that bought my pardon for once and for all!
If there is no sacrifice; there is no hope!  Without the shed blood of Christ on the Cross of Calvary we are without anything to hold on to, to secure our foundation.  Or to aid us in this life, which leads to the next point.
He Sought Us, He Bought Us and He Sanctifies.  That’s right, He holds us and causes us to show His righteousness to a lost, dying world.  Look back at Psalms 40:
8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. 9 I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O Lord, thou knowest. 10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.
11 Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me. 12 For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me. 13 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me.
Psalms 40:8-13 (KJV)
            Our own righteousness is as filthy rags, but when we are in Him He shines forth through our sin stained life, to show Himself in all His Glory.  It is for His glory that He forgives our sin, casting them into the sin of forgetfulness.  It is for His honor that we show His forgiveness and live for Him in our lives.  It is for Him we are made into instruments of use for His purposes, trophies of His Grace.
            Yes, there are times when we falter and fall.  It is the curse of a fallen nature and a fallen world.  We tumble, stumble and at times through our own vain thoughts and ways sin and when we do we know we have because of the Spirit of God that lives within us.  But it is His pleasure to forgive and cleanse; to pick us up, dust us off and say, “Go and sin no more.”
            We are being made into His perfect imagine.  We are not there yet; no, we are not perfect yet, but one day we will be just as He is now.  Until then we seek Him everyday; gaining His strength for the challenges of life and His help to avoid the pitfalls we will encounter.  Through fellowship with other believers, the study of God’s Word, and prayer we find that we are being made into His perfect imagine.
            He Secures Us.  We are held tightly by the hand of God as He places us on the rock, and that Rock is Jesus, and we have hope here and hereafter.  Many will say that when Jesus said He would give abundant life, they will focus that on the life to come.  I do not doubt that!  When I see verse like those in John 14 and in the Revelation, I am reminded of what a wonderful reward we have; a reward of life and hope that is come.
            In this life, in the here and now, we need hope and help as well.  It is here, as we are firmly placed on the rock, secure in our standing and secure in our walking.  As we hold tight to this rock, we have abundant, overflowing life.
            Lastly, He Protects Us.  Look back at the last verse of Psalm 40:
14 Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil. 15 Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame that say unto me, Aha, aha. 16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified. 17 But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.
Psalms 40:14-17 (KJV)
            Our protection is in Him and in Him alone!  He will fight for us, He will wage war with those who stand against us, He will take up our cause.  We do not have to waver or faint; He is ever at our right hand, holding us firmly to His side, making the path smooth for us. 
            If you have never entered into a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, then may I have a word with you?  Without Jesus Christ as the Savior of your life, you are hopeless and homeless.  Without the forgiveness of Christ for your sin, you are a sinner that has made the choice to spend eternity separated from Him and His love and His grace for you.  He ask that you would open the door for Him. 
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Revelation 3:20-21 (KJV)
            The Bible says that he or she that is without Christ is a sinner and is subject to death. (Romans 6:23)  We know that the Bible says we have all sinned and have come so short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)  As a sinner we are subject to judgment, but God did not send His Son to judge the world, but that the world might be saved. (John 3:17-21)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (KJV)
Friend, the Bible also tells me the GOOD NEWS!  Paul says it best in Romans 10…
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Romans 10:9-11 (KJV)
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:13 (KJV)
            Will you call on Him today?  Believe that He is who He says He is and confess your sin to Him.  He will forgive you!  He will save you!  He will love you!  He will walk with you!
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment