Thursday, November 8, 2012

Mrs. America-A Favorite Lady from my past



On Sunday mornings is when I miss her the most.  Even though I have been through several churches since she was a part of my life, and I have come to love and cherish several great ladies along the way, she was one of those who truly placed an imprint on my life.
America Armstrong was a striking lady, one who always looked as if she had just stepped out of the beauty shop.  She was the daughter of an Italian emergent named “Valentine” who found his way to America and settled in Dadeville, Alabama on Lake Martin.  Her father was a businessman, family man and raised two boys and one girl to respect, love and honor America. 
She would smile and light up a room.  She loved her name and was with much affection called Mrs. America.
I guess that is how she gained an unusual name.  Mrs. America played the piano for the crowds that would gather in the restaurant in Dadeville.  From what I was told, she could rattle the house and pleased the people.
When I met her, I was the Youth Minister/Associate Pastor at Dadeville’s First Baptist Church.  She became a fast friend and one who stood by me with her whole heart.  She was loud, vocal and did not mind getting in a conversation.  She could hold her own.
Every Sunday morning she played the piano for the Men’s Sunday School Class, which was located across the hall from the Nursery in the “Chapel” just inside the north side of the educational wing and normally they would sing for about ten minutes before starting class.  Her Ladies Class, which she attended met across the hall from the men and all classes started at 9:45.
Each Sunday morning Mrs. America was fashionably late.  She would come through the doors around five minutes before ten and pass the hall where she was suppose to go and come down to my office.  No knock, no pausing at the door; she would come right in and announce that she was in the room:
“Good morning,” she would say loudly and clearly, “Bro. Jeff, how do you like my dress?  I selected it for the men and so the women could see it.”
She liked bright colors, and applied them with precise care, matching and accessorizing just right.  Even though she was up in years by that time, she was a beautiful woman, aging with much class and grace.  And play the piano-oh, could she ever!  I so enjoyed listening to her play.  Not only would I stand outside the chapel door and listen to her play, I would stand beside her as she would play monthly for our seniors meeting we hosted for the local hospital in our Family Life Center. 
The patriotic songs she played always thrilled me more than anything.  She would take those fingers, which were swollen with arthritis, and touch the keys ever so lightly; making it sound as if there were a band inside those wooden covered harps.
I not only took a liking to her, my wife also loved her immensely.  At that time we were developing our relationship, as she worked in Alexander City at Belk’s Department Store.  Tina says that she could be anywhere in the store and know when Mrs. America walked in the front door.  Mrs. America would stop and call out, “Tina!  Where is my Tina?”  Tina would hear her and come to meet her at the door.  Then she would spend the next hour or so helping her select dresses and accessories or giving her advice on how to winterize her wardrobe. 
If Tina had experienced one of those long difficult days, with no break to eat, America would leave, go home to Dadeville, prepare food for Tina and return with enough food to feed the entire crew.  But she was stern, “This is for you and you only; you need to eat, dear.”
As Mrs. America’s health began to fade, I would stop by to visit with her.  What a joy it was to sit and talk, listening to the stories of her past, and being assured of her future.  She planned her services, bought the dress she would be buried in from Tina and Belk’s.  She was ready to meet her King when she left this world.
Of course that was almost twenty plus years ago now, but I still think about her every Sunday morning.  I still see her walking into my office, twirling around like a school girl and asking for a complaint on her beautiful attire.  She was an amazing woman and yes, one my favorite ladies who entered my life and left an imprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment